- About Us
- Membership List
- VET Laws
- Contact Us
PHILIPPINE VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION, PVMA
CENTENNIAL YEAR 1907-2007
Enrique T. Carlos, DVM,
Fel. PCCP, Fel, PCVPH, Fel. PAM
Year 1888 marked the era when veterinary medicine started to make an impact in the Philippines. It was in this year that a group of health professionals was commissioned by Don Benigno Quiroga y Ballesteros, the Director General de Administracion Civil de Filipinas to investigate the Rinderpest Epizootic. This was headed by an army veterinarian Don Gines Geis y Gotzens and composed of the Director of the Laboratorio Municipal de Manila, Don Anacleto del Rosario y Sales, a pharmacist and for public health purposes, a physician Don Francisco Masip. The disease brought by animals imported from Indo China and Hongkong disseminated the cattle and carabao population by December 1988. Steamship captains plying the river between Manila and Bulacan reported that dead animals were clogging the waterways.
In the turn of the century, the veterinarians were one of the largest professional groups brought into the country by the American Colonial authorities. Their functions were to inspect all cattle arriving in Manila, do the meat inspection in the City Matadero, and attend to the care and treatment of government animals and the inspection of public and private stables as to their sanitary condition and the health of the animals. Forage for horses and beef for the troops were essential items for the function of the U.S. Army; it should be noted that beef was brought into the territory frozen. Again, the veterinarian played an important role in this endeavor.
Consequently in 1910 a Board of Officers of the Civil Government of the Philippine Islands and the U.S. Army headed by Vice-Governor Newton W. Gilbert was constituted. Dr. George E. Nesom, the first president of the PVMA and the first Director of the Bureau of Agriculture was in 1910 September 1 appointed Chairman of the Committee on Forage and Committee on Beef; both components of the Board.
The rinderpest epizootic resulted in the need for the services of veterinarians; this effected the establishment of a veterinary school in the Philippines in 1908. Prior to the founding of the College of Veterinary Science of the University of the Philippines, the American Colonial Authorities were utilizing veterinary graduates of Schools of Veterinary Medicine in the United States of America. It is notable to say that the Rinderpest epizootic in Europe caused the founding in 1762 of the first veterinary school in the world, L’Ecole Veterinaire de Lyon, France.
Different developments in the profession unfolded during the Rinderpest Epizootic in the Philippines from 1886 to 1939. It was in 1888 that the veterinarian was given prominence by heading a government commission. In 1899, the US Army Quartermaster employed 60 civilian veterinarians aside from those of the veterinary corps in the US Army. Incidentally, those veterinarians in the US Army were not given ranks until 1916. In military reports specifically the Field Returns, they were listed next and below the commissioned officers but above the enlisted man. Contrary to this, the Spanish Army veterinarians were given ranks.
To facilitate the solution of problems arising from time to time in connection with the different line of veterinary work in the Philippines a group of veterinarians met in 1906 September; they formally organized the Philippine Veterinary Medical Association in 1907 September 7, a Saturday. The veterinarians who organized the PVMA were from the United States Army and the Insular Government. They were Drs George E. Nesom, Frank G. Gearhart, L.M. Pick, C.M. Richards, Charles G. Thomson, William P. Hill, David C. Kretzer, B.A. Seeley, J. E. Nance, J. H. McKinnon, J.A. Thompson, and Stanton Youngberg. Dr. George E. Nesom was elected President, Dr.C.M. Richards as vice president, and Dr. Frank C. Gearhart as secretary-treasurer. Dr. Nesom was the Director of the Bureau of Agriculture established in 1905 October 26; while Drs C.M. Richards and Frank C. Gearhart were the acting chief veterinarian and chief of the Animal Husbandry Division respectively of the same Bureau.
The Philippine Veterinary Medical Association celebrates one century of its existence from 1907 to 2007. The PVMA is one of the oldest professional health related group in the country second to the Philippine Island Medical Association founded in 1903 which in 1939 became the Philippine Medical Association. However, the PVMA retained the same name it had at the time it was founded. There were indications that there was another veterinary association organized earlier. Dr. George E. Nesom the first president of the PVMA in his inaugural speech in 1908 September 28, a Monday, mentioned of another veterinary association organized in the Philippines some years earlier or that the PVMA was a continuation of the former and was perfected as entirely original.
In 1910 to 1911 the PVMA president, Dr. William Proctor Hill, a graduate of the Ontario Veterinary College, Canada advocated and lobbied for the regulation of the practice of veterinary medicine and surgery in the Philippine Islands. Consequently Act 2245, An Act to Regulate the Practice of Veterinary Medicine and Surgery in the Philippine Island was enacted in 1913 February 11 by the Philippine Commission. Dr. Hill also worked for the veterinarians being given ranks in the U.S. Army. This was only realized in 1916 when veterinarians were appointed as commissioned officers.
The officers of the PVMA in 1911 to 1912 were Drs. Archibald R. Ward as President, Joseph R. Jefferis as Vice-President, and David Kretzer as Secretary. Dr. Ward , the chief of the Veterinary Division of the Bureau of Agriculture of the Department of Public Instruction, Government of Philippine Islands was in-charge of the eradication of rinderpest. On orders of Governor General William Cameron Forbes in 1911 June 13, he was directed to report directly to the Director of the Bureau of Agriculture, the Secretary of Public Instruction and to the Governor General on matters pertaining to this division. His approach in eradicating Rinderpest was the use of strict quarantine. This almost became successful but when decentralization was effected the provincial governors had their own programs which lead to the resurgence of Rinderpest.
In 1936 February 20, a Thursday, in the 19th PVMA Convention the recommendation of the executive committee to award Dr. Archibald Robinson Ward, Cornell 1901 and Dr. William Hutchinson Boynton, Cornell 1908, Honorary membership was approved by the body in plenary session .
CONSTITUTION AND BY-LAWS
It was on the last day of the sixth Annual Meeting held in 1914 February 13, Friday and 14, Saturday, that the first written Constitution and By-Laws of the PVMA was adopted. This was during the incumbency of Drs. Frank G. Gearhart, A.G. Donovan and R.W. Newcomb, President, Vice president and Secretary-treasurer respectively. This document was drafted by a committee composed of Drs. Donald B. Palmer, Stanton Youngberg and Victor A. Buencamino.
The PVMA Constitution and By-Laws was amended in 1918 February 5, a Tuesday, the first day of the 7th Annual Meeting. The new provision now allowed graduates of the College of Veterinary Science of the University of the Philippines membership in the association. Membership in the 1914 Constitution and By-Laws was limited to graduates of Veterinary Schools recognized by the American Veterinary Medical Association. The officers at the time were Drs. William H. Boynton, W.W. Richards, E. S. Merchants, and Stanton Youngberg, President, Vice-President, Secretary and Treasurer respectively. Dr. Boynton, pathologist of the Bureau of Agriculture developed the Rinderpest vaccine in 1920 which led to the eradication of Rinderpest by 1939; the last outbreak in Negros Occidental was controlled in 1938 September 21. Dr. Boynton was working as a pathologist in the New York State College of Veterinary Medicine at Cornell University when summoned through the intercession of Dr. Archibald R. Ward, who was his mentor. He was eventually awarded the PVMA Honorary Membership in 1936 .
Only four Filipino Veterinarians were eligible for membership under the 1914 Constitution and By-Laws; these veterinarians were those registered in the list of the Veterinary Examining Board, VEB of the Bureau of Agriculture beginning 1913 November 4. Act 2245, An Act to regulate the practice of veterinary medicine and surgery in the Philippine Islands was enacted by the Third Philippine Legislature on its Special Session in 1913 February 11. The veterinarians were Dr. Victor A. Buencamino who graduated from the New York State College of Veterinary Medicine at Cornell University in 1911, Dr. Vicente G. Ferriols, who graduated from the Iowa State College of Agriculture and Mechanic Arts in 1912 and Dr. Ventura T. Gatchalian who graduated presumably in a veterinary school in the United States of America before the registration date in 1913. The fourth, Dr. Sixto N. Almeda Carlos graduated from The San Francisco Veterinary College in 1916. The first three were registered with the VEB in 1913 with registration numbers 0022, 0003, and 0030 respectively; Dr. Almeda Carlos was registered in 1916 with registration number 0057. Dr. Victor A. Buencamino became the Director of the Bureau of Animal Industry, BAI in 1933, while Dr. Vicente G. Ferriols became the Director of the BAI in 1946. Dr. Ventura T. Gatchalian became the District Veterinarian of the Bureau of Animal Industry for Nueva Ecija and stationed at Cabanatuan in 1932; and Dr. Sixto N. Almeda Carlos, who worked very briefly with the Bureau of Agriculture in 1916, was the veterinarian of the Buencamino Veterinary Hospital from 1916 to 1927; later in 1927 he established his veterinary clinic at 185 Marquez de Comillas now 839 Romualdez, Ermita Manila; this eventually became the Dog and Cat Hospital. Except for Dr. Buencamino, the other three Drs Ferriols, Gatchalian and Almeda Carlos were not given the privilege of being members in 1914 and in 1916 despite the fact that they graduated from Veterinary Colleges in the United States of America. The PVMA membership diplomas of Drs. Ferriols and Almeda Carlos issued by Drs. Gregorio M. San Agustin, and Manuel D. Sumulong, president and Secretary-Treasurer respectively in 1934 June 20 attested to the election of both as members as of 1918 February 5.
A veterinarian, Mariano Juan Francisco Muñoz y Tomen registered with the Veterinary Examining Board in 1914 August 29 with registration number 0048 was not a member of the PVMA as based on available records. This veterinarian could be a Philippine resident, possibly Spanish. Section 12 of Act. No. 2245 states that Every person of a good moral character not less than twenty-one years of age who is a resident of the Philippines Islands, and who by verified statements satisfies the board to that effect, shall upon application be admitted to take examination with a view of becoming a certified veterinarian.
Section 3 of Article II Application for membership of the 1935 PVMA By-Laws stated that only those who have been graduated from schools recognized by the American Veterinary Medical Association and those from the University of the Philippines may be admitted to active membership. On the other hand, the Section 3 of Article VIII Application for membership of the 1953 PVMA By-Laws stated that only those who have been graduated from schools or colleges recognized by the Government or by the American Veterinary Medical Association may be admitted to active membership.
Membership per the PVMA Constitution and By-laws of 1935 and 1953 and by extension, the 1914, 1918, 1937, 1938, 1939 PVMA Constitution and By-laws only required that the applicant be a graduate of a veterinary school. However in 1974 at the 42nd PVMA Annual Convention, held at the University of the Philippines Law Center, the PVMA Constitution was amended to limit membership to the PVMA to those graduates of Doctor of Veterinary Medicine who have passed the board examinations and licensed by the Professional Regulation Commission, PRC with an updated PRC registration. Those who were not licensed by the PRC but were members prior to the 1974 amendment were allowed to retain their membership. This was not reflected in the constitution and written records are not available; however, a gentleman’s agreement still exists and guarded only by those who witnessed the agreement in the 1974 plenary session.
Consequently the 1982, 1989, and 1997 constitution clearly defines the current status for membership. Article III Membership, Section 1 states that Membership in this association shall be exclusive to those graduate Veterinarians licensed by the Professional Regulation Commission, PRC to practice in the Philippines. To maintain membership, the life or regular member shall have to update his or her PRC registration.
The PVMA was first Registered with the Securities and Exchange Commission in 1953 October 23. Having a life span of 50 years, the PVMA Board of Directors will have to negotiate for its extention.
OFFICERS OF THE ASSOCIATION
At the beginning, officers of the association were the president, vice-president, and secretary/treasurer. The office of secretary and treasurer was separated from time to time. Then in 1953, the five members of the Board of Directors came into effect from which the president, vice-president, secretary/treasurer were elected. After the amendment of the PVMA Constitution and By-Laws in 1974, there were seven Board of Directors with a non-voting ex officio, the past president added; however this was effected in 1976. The position of Secretary/Treasurer was separated in 1976. It was in 1982 September 28 that the PVMA Constitution and By-Laws was amended forming an eleven board of directors which included the President, Vice-President, and Treasurer, Auditor, PRO with five as plain members of the Board of Directors, and another member of the Board the sixth, the Immediate Past President. The Secretary was chosen from among the members of the Board. This composition of officers is existing up to the present. Only the position of President and ex-officio member of the Board, the immediate past president are automatic in nature, the rest are elected. The system of electing only a vice-president who in his second year becomes the president and consequently in the third year automatically becomes a Member of the Board of Directors is a practice which allows the leader to be influential in the Board of Directors for three years thus allowing his programs in the span of three years to be continuously nurtured.
From 1907 to 1917 the officers of the association were all Americans. Filipinos were elected as officers of the association for the first time in 1918. The two Filipinos elected were Dr. Victor A. Buencamino, a graduate of New York State College of Veterinary Medicine at Cornell University in 1911 and Dr. Sixto N. Almeda Carlos, a graduate of San Francisco Veterinary College in 1916; they were elected vice president and treasurer respectively. They were close family friends and business associates in a rinderpest serum laboratory. Subsequently in 1919 all the officers of the association were Filipinos. They were Dr. Victor A. Buencamino as president, Dr. Vicente G. Ferriols as vice-president, Dr. Angel K. Gomez as secretary, and Dr. Santiago B. Montemayor as treasurer.
HOUSE OF DELEGATES
The 1982 PVMA Constitution and By-Laws established the Executive Council. Presidents of local chapters constituted the Executive Council which was advisory to the Board on matters relevant to the efficient performance of the association. They were allowed to sit in the Board Meetings and participate in its deliberation but without the right to vote. Unfortunately this was not fully realized since the out of town participants could not be present in all occasions. Even in annual meetings the presence of the local executives was wanting. Furthermore the interpretation of representation limited the participation only to presidents and not any official representative of the chapter. The PVMA Constitution and By-Laws was amended in 1997 replacing the Executive Council with a consultative body, the House of Delegates for a broader representative group. Basically, it facilitated sectoral and geographic participation. These included Councils, Chapters, Affiliates and veterinary related groups. The Councils were made out of the Council on Animal Welfare, the Council of Biologics and Therapeutic Agents, the Council on Continuing Professional Education, the Council on Ethics, and the Council on Legislation. The oldest Council, the Council on Ethics was conceptualized and formed in 1977. All councils have a membership of five elected members with a term of office of five years each. However they had a staggered term of five years so that one member of each council is elected each year. It is run by a Chairman and Vice Chairman and Secretary who are elected by its members every two years. The chapters and affiliates and other groups are represented by their officially designated representative; this may be the president or official or any member of the agroupation officially designated by the Officers and Board of Directors of their respective group. The members of the Board of Directors and officers of the PVMA also seat in the House of Delegates quarterly meetings. A Speaker of the House, a Speaker Pro Tempore and a Secretary, which serve for a period of 1 year are elected from among the Delegates every PVMA Annual Convention. This body may approve resolutions which are presented to the Board of Directors for their appropriate action. This assembly gives chapters, affiliates and cooperating agencies, both geographical and sectoral agroupations direct representation to the governing board. Unfortunately this is not fully utilized by many perhaps because of none familiarity to the system and cost for travel.
Chapters and Affiliates
The earliest veterinary association attached to the PVMA is the Cebu Veterinary Medical Society which was founded in 1963 November. This was headed by Dr. Nestor R. Alonzo, UP-CVS 1937, president and Dr. Rosalio C. Mandin, UP-CVS 1937 as his vice president. Dr. Rodolfo C. Orais, UP-CVM 1963, Dr. Juan C. Vertulfo, UP-CVM 1958 and Dr. Jose L. Guadiz, UP-CVM 1960 were secretary, treasurer and auditor respectively. It was short lived and was only listed in the 1964 PVMA Souvenir Program. It is noteworthy to say that Dr. Nestor R. Alonzo remains unrecognized by the PVMA as an outstanding veterinarian whose activities had national implications.
The earlier PVMA constitutions did not provide for chapters; however the 1982 constitution, Article IX, entitled Chapters, codified the formation of chapters. While rules in forming a chapter were drafted, there was no continuity in its implementation. There appeared to be a confusion in the formation of a chapter and the use of terms in naming the chapters. The nomenclature to be used should be geographical in nature with the word PVMA as a point of reference. Guidelines for affiliation was issued in the 65th Annual PVMA Convention held in 1998 February 19; Dr. Daniel C. Ventura, Jr. headed the committee on affiliates and chapters. In 1999 the PVMA board through Dr. Edna Zenaida A. Velarde-Villacorte presented the issue to the House of Delegates on November 12 for review. This was later approved by the PVMA Board for adoption. This was recently updated by the PVMA Board in 2006 October 28 in a morning meeting. This was presented to the House of Delegates in the afternoon.
Veterinary Associations who are not Chapters relate with the PVMA through affiliation. These are independent veterinary organizations whose objectives are congruent with the PVMA. These affiliates however, do not compete but compliment the function of the PVMA. They accept the fact that the PVMA is the lead veterinary organization in the Philippines.
Since 1974 many veterinary associations have officially affiliated with the PVMA. The veterinary associations in the 1970’s and the 1980’s are the City Veterinarians League, the Veterinary Practitioners Association of the Philippines, VPAP, the Veterinary Women's League, VWL, the Philippine Animal Hospital Association, PAHA, and the Philippine Society of Veterinary Diagnosticians, PSVD. The VPAP and the VWL affiliated with the PVMA during the Business Meeting in the 42nd Annual Convention in 1974 December 14. The Veterinary Women’s League, The City Veterinarians League in the Philippines, and the Philippine Society of Veterinary Diagnostician are currently not active.
City Veterinarians League, CVL
The City Veterinarians League was established in 1975; this was headed by Dr. Nestor R. Alonso, UP-CVS 1937. The set of officers for 1975-1976 and 1976-1977 as listed in the 43rd and 44th PVMA Souvenir Program of the annual convention were Dr. Nestor R. Alonso, UP-CVS 1937 as president, Dr. Pacifico C. Rubio, UP-CVM 1951 as Vice-President, Dr. Manuel N. Lazo, UP-CVM 1965 as Secretary, Dr. Rustica V Sarmiento, UP-CVM 1965 as Treasurer, Dr. Mamerto A. Bince, Jr., UP-CVM 1963 as Business Manager, and Dr. Anselmo C. Ismael, UP-CVM 1966 as PRO. Dr. Anselmo C. Ismael was president for 1978-1979. The last president listed was Dr. Nestor Alonso for 1979-1980, 1980-1981 and 1981-1982.
The Philippine Society of Veterinary Diagnosticians, PSVD
The first specialized group but without a Specialty Board for board certification was the Philippine Society of Veterinary Diagnosticians organized in a meeting in 1980 March 28 at the L.Q. Restaurant. The officers were Dr. Raul V. Baron, UP-CVM 1968 as president, Dr. Asuncion A. Gonzales, UP-CVM 1972 as Secretary-Treasurer, and Dr. Ruben M. Ferriols, UP-CVM 1979 as PRO. The other charter members were Dr. Veronica SJ. Alejandro, UP-CVM 1978, Dr. Eliseo S. Contreras, UP-CVM 1950, Dr. Cresenciana Z. Rodil-Timbol, UP-CVM 1964, Dr. Leofina P. Balaoing, UP-CVM 1975, Dr. Vicente L. Sicam, UP-CVM 1971, Dr. Eliseo M. dela Cruz, UP-CVM 1970, Dr. Wilfredo C. Conde, AUF-IVM 1974, Dr. Mary Ann P. Pelagio, UP-CVM 1979, and Dr. Josephine R. Lagata, UP-CVM 1977.
The Society was first listed with the PVMA in 1981 with Dr. Raul V. Baron, UP-CVM 1968 as the president. The last listing of the societies' officers in the PVMA Souvenir Programs was in the 52nd Annual Convention in 1985.
The Veterinary Quarantine Officers of the Philippines, VQOP
Another affiliate of the PVMA was the Veterinary Quarantine Officers of the Philippines established in 1986. The 1986-1987 officers were Dr. Leartes L. Tabotabo, UP-CVM 1970 as president, Dr. Pastor S. Cruz, UP-CVM 1959 as Vice-President for Luzon, Dr. Oscar L. Limoso, UP-CVM 1969 for Visayas and Dr. Carlos B. Mendoza, UP-CVM 1974 for Mindanao, Dr. Pepito U. De Dote, UP-CVM 1963 as Secretary,/Treasurer, Dr. Salvador S. Madarang, AUF-IVM 1970, as Auditor, Dr. Jose H. Losa, UP-CVM 1976 as PRO, and Dr. Ricardo F. Marero, UP-CVM 1970 as Adviser. It was listed in the PVMA Souvenir Programs up to 1990.
Veterinary Practitioners Association of the Philippines, VPAP
In 1972, a group of private practitioners organized the Veterinary Private Practitioners Association. However, by the second meeting in 1972 April 5, the group decided to change the name to Veterinary Practitioners Association of the Philippines, VPAP so as not to limit membership to private practitioners only and therefore included veterinarians in the drug industry, in other areas and in government. The association was incorporated and registered with the Securities and Exchange Commission in 1973 June 03. The incorporators were Dr. Eulogio Noel R. Alojipan, Jr, UP-CVM 1963, Dr. Enrique T. Carlos, UP-CVM 1965, Dr. Jose A. Navarro, UP-CVM 1970, Dr. Priscillo M. Nepomuceno, UP-CVM 1962, Dr. Mario A. Parreno, UP-CVM 1964, Dr. Delfin O. Tumibay, UP-CVM 1962, Dr. Oscar R. Dizon, UP-CVM 1963, Dr. Jose V. Valenzuela, Dr. Perfecto L. Montances, UPCVM, 1968, and Dr. Mauro M. Tajon, UP-CVM 1961.The group initially and for about two years met at the Dog and Cat Hospital of Dr. Enrique R. Carlos located at 185 Marquez de Comillas, Ermita, Manila. This was a meeting on the first Wednesday of each month which started at 7:00 pm to end up by 10:00 pm because of the military curfew brought about in 1972 September 21 by Martial Law of the Republic of the Philippines. This was especially crucial since some members, Dr. Perfecto L. Montances UP-CVM 1968, Dr. Florante R. Calvan, UP-CVM 1965, and Dr. Eulogio Noel R. Alojipan, Jr, UP-CVM 1963 were residing as far as Novaliches. This was a dinner meeting and initially included the wives. Dr. Rhodora G. Siapno-Carlos UP-CVM 1966 was in-charge of dinner, refreshments, and reception.
The first officers were Dr. Enrique T. Carlos, UPCVM 1965 as president, Dr. Ramon E. Canso, UP-CVM 1971 as Vice-President, Dr. Delfin O. Tumibay, UP-CVM 1962 as Secretary, Dr. Oscar R. Dizon, UP-CVM, 1963 as Treasurer, Dr. Jose A. Navarro, UP-CVM, 1970 as Member, Board of Directors.
In 1973 May 17 and 18 the first convention of the VPAP was held at the Hotel Intercontinental Manila located in Makati, Metro Manila. The association led the way in the veterinary profession by holding its conventions in five star hotels. The feeling then was that such an endeavor was unaffordable by the association and the delegates. There were 100 participants. The conference fee was P100.00 and sponsors contributed P200.00. The holding of simultaneous lectures was also initiated; although some members were complaining that they wanted to listen to all lectures. Since then the PVMA and other professional organizations started having 2 to 3 simultaneous lectures. The guest speaker in the first conference was the Dean of the College of Veterinary Medicine Salvador H. Escudero III, UP-CVM 1963 who authoritatively spoke on the theme Excellence in Veterinary Medicine. The VPAP celebrated its 32nd Annual Scientific Conference in 2004 June 10 and 11.
Veterinary Womens League, VWL
The Veterinary Women's League was established in 1973. It was affiliated with the PVMA in 1974 December 14. The set of officers in 1974 to 1975 and 1975 to 1976 were Dr. Yolanda L. Derilo, UP-CVM 1968 as president, Dr. Carmencita M. Directo-Mateo, UP-CVM 1970 as secretary, Dr. Rhodora G. Siapno-Carlos, UP-CVM 1966 as Treasurer, Dr. Lucita B. Sable-Salvador, AUF-IVM 1970 as Business Manager and Dr. Zenaida V. Corpus, UPCVM, 1958 as PRO. The set of officers for 1976-1977 were Dr. Rhodora G. Siapno-Carlos, UP-CVM 1966 as President, Dr. Consuelo S. Baluyot-Bain, UP-CVM 1969 as Vice-President, Dr. Carmencita V. Yason, UP-CVM 1971 as Secretary, Dr. Ma. Fe N. Bustamante DVM 1974, as Treasurer, and Dr. Tomasa C. Balassu, UP-CVM 1972 as PRO.
Its constitution was amended in 1984 February 16 during the presidency of Josephine O. Encarnacion-Joya, UP-CVM 1979; the name of the organization was changed to the Philippine Veterinary Women's Association. The term of office of officers was extended to two years. Dr. Ruby Sue A. Mordeno-Mangalindan, UP-CVM 1980 was president from 1984-1986 and Dr. Edna Zenaida A. Velarde-Villacorte, UP-CVM 1978 from 1986 to 1988. The name of the association was last listed in PVMA Souvenir Programs in 1990.
The Davao Veterinary Private Practitioners Association, DVPPA.
The DVPPA was established in 1984. The officers were Dr. Arsenio A. Braga, UP-CVM 1962 as President, Dr. Gregorio C. Montano, UP-CVM 1964 as Vice-President, Dr. Darla Claire B. Reyes, GAUF-IVM 1980 as Secretary, Dr. Robert M. Punio, DVM 1981 as Treasurer, Dr. Dominador F. Martinez, DVM 1981 as Auditor, and Dr. Hospicio C. Conanan, Jr. UP-CVM 1977 as Director.
This is a very active group which had two significant achievements. The officers of DVPPA filed a case of dishonorable conduct in the Board of Veterinary Medicine and Board of Pharmacy against Dr. Antonio B. Acosta, UP-CVS 1938 and Ms. Lourdes Go-Bangayan, a Pharmacist. In 1986 January 21 both Boards suspended the two individuals from the practice of their profession for a period of 6 months. Ms. Lourdes Go-Bangayan was found illegally practicing Veterinary Medicine and Dr. Antonio Acosta was found guilty of Dishonorable Conduct on allowing his license to be used on Bangayan in the operations of the Bark Animal Health Center in Davao City.
The Philippine Animal Hospital Association, PAHA
The Philippine Animal Hospital Association was established in 1978 during the start of an epizootic in dogs of a mysterious gastroenteritis causing death of puppies within 6 hrs from the time it was presented for examination. This was the start of the Canine Parvovirus Epizootic which took some time before scientific references were available; the initial source of information in the country being an article in a popular monthly magazine from Canada.
The Charter members of the association were the Cabanlig Veterinary Clinic represented by Dr. Jose Ned R. Cabanlig, AUF-IVM 1969, the Dizon Veterinary Clinic represented by Dr. Oscar R. Dizon, UP-CVM 1963 the Carlos Dog and Cat Hospital represented by Dr. Enrique R. Carlos, UP-CVS 1946 the Cortez Animal Hospital represented by Dr. Francisco S. Cortez, UP-CVS 1946 the Makati Dog and Cat Hospital represented by Dr. Enrique T. Carlos, UP-CVM 1965 the Parreño Veterinary Clinic represented by Dr. Mario A. Parreño, UP-CVM 1964 the Saint Bernard Animal Clinic represented by Dr. Jose V. Valenzuela, and the Veterinary Clinic BF Homes represented by Dr. Jesus G. Lareza as signing the declaration of principles.
The first set of officers for the year 1978, 1979 and 1980 were Dr. Enrique T. Carlos as President, Dr. Jose Ned R. Cabanlig as Vice-president, Dr. Jesus G. Lareza as Secretary, Dr. Oscar R. Dizon as Treasurer, Dr. Mario A Parreño as PRO, Dr. Jose V. Valenzuela as Auditor, Dr. Francisco S. Cortez, as Director, and Dr. Enrique R. Carlos as Ex-Officio.
Dr. Enrique T. Carlos, the PAHA president negotiated for the affiliation of PAHA with the PVMA in 1980 July 8 through a letter to Dr. Rolendio A. Roderos, president PVMA. This was the day of the PVMA Board meeting; a PVMA Resolution 80-81-04 dated the same day approved the affiliation. One of the activities in 1980 was the voluntary accreditation of veterinary clinics and hospitals.
The Official Roster of the Chapters in 2007 are:
Region I - Region I Chapter
Region II - Cagayan Valley Chapter
Region III - Central Luzon Chapter
Region IV - Southern Tagalog and Batangas Chapter
Region V - Bicol Region Chapter
Region VI - Western Visayas Chapter
Region VII - Central Visayas Chapter
Region VIII - Eastern Visayas Chapter
Region IX - Western Mindanao Chapter
Region X - Northern Mindanao Chapter
Region XI - Southern Mindanao Chapter
CAR - Cordillera Veterinary Medical Association
C A R A G A - CARAGA Region Chapter
The Official Roster of Affiliates in 2007 are:
Philippine College of Canine Practitioners
Philippine College of Swine Practitioners
Philippine College of Veterinary Public Health
Philippine College of Equine Practitioners
Philippine College of Veterinary Feed Practitioners
Philippine College of Poultry Practitioners
Veterinary Practitioners Association of the Philippines
Philippine Animal Hospital Association
Cavite Veterinary Medical Association
Davao Veterinary Private Practitioners Association, Inc.
Nueva Ecija Veterinary Medical Association
Pangasinan Veterinary Medical Society, Inc.
Central Mindanao Veterinary Medical Association
Philippine Association for Laboratory Animal Science
Philippine Veterinary Drug Association
Provincial, City and Municipal Veterinarians League of the Philippines
Samahan ng mga Dalubhasa sa Pagamutang Hayop sa Palawan